Whats On October
•Autumn Fair, all proceeds to the charity Brace which is a charity raising funds for research into Alzheimer's. Refreshments, Raffle, Food & Drink Tombola, Cake stall, Bottle stall, books, bath & beauty, games and much more. Saturday 1st October 10am-12.30pm, Newman, Grange Court Road, Westbury-on-Trym, BS9 4DR. Entry by donation. For further information please contact Jeanne on 07866 392912
•Self Defence? Martial Arts? Self Awareness? Ever thought about these things? Aiki Jutsu might be for you. Beginner's course starts on Tuesday 4th October @ the Scout Hut, Hurle Road, (off Whiteladies Road), Clifton, BS8 2SY.
Check "Bristolaikijutsu.co.uk" and call Steve on 07712 077621 for more information."
•Badgers - not everything is black and white (Talk) An event run by the Avon Gorge & Downs Wildlife Project Tues 11th October. 7.00pm - 8.00pm £4.00. Held at Bristol Zoo Gardens. To book please call 0117 9030609 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
13 & 15 October
•Craft Exhibition - Bath & West Showground, Shepton Mallet BA4 6Q. Huge range of craft supplies plus demonstrations, workshops and more £8.00 adult/£7.00 concessions/Children under 16 free www.Craft4Crafters.co.uk Ticket Line: 0345 3040222.
22 & 30 October
•Halloween Festival. Saturday 22nd – Sunday 30th October. All witches and wizards are invited to Bristol Zoo Gardens this Halloween for a frighteningly good time. From the 22nd – 30th October children can enter for just £5 with a full paying adult (terms and conditions apply).
22 & 30 October
•Halloween Harvest. Saturday 22nd – Sunday 30th October This October half term, Wild Place Project is celebrating Halloween with £5 child entry with a full paying adult (terms and conditions apply)
26 & 29 October
•Horfield Theatre Company present Fool’s Paradise by Peter Coke. 26th – 29th October 2016 Tickets: £9 Doors open 7pm: performance starts 7.30pm Horfield Parish Hall, Wellington Hill, Horfield, Bristol BS7 8ST For tickets phone 0117 9695716 or buy online via www.horfieldtheatre.co.uk This amateur production of ‘Fool’s Paradise’ is presented by special arrangement with Samuel French, ltd.
What’s on a regular basis
• Toddler group at Ardagh Pavilion, Kellaway Avenue, Horfield Common. Ages 03, cost £2.50 per family includes refreshments and biscuits. All welcome. Friendly vibrant group just drop in. Contact Kay on 01179426580 for further details.
• FitSteps, Ashley Down Primary School, Olveston Road, 7-8pm. FitSteps® the new craze in dance fitness classes from ‘Strictly Come Dancing’s’ very own Natalie Lowe, Ian Waite and Mark Foster. This really is the most fun, graceful way to get in shape.
• Kick Start Fat Loss Club, Ashley Down Primary School, Olveston Road, 8-9pm. Kick Start Fat Loss is a revolutionary new diet and exercise club currently running in Bristol. There is no calorie counting, daily points, fad foods or complicated workouts. *Weekly weigh in, measure and body stat recording.
• Morris for fitness and fun, 7.15pm – 8.15pm at Horfield URC, Muller Road, Horfield, BS7 9RE during term time only, no performance element, small groups. Sticks and hankies provided. Tel/text: 07813 346819 / 0117 9401566, www.thegreatcaper.co.uk
• Redland Wind Band rehearses at the Quakers Meeting Room on Gloucester Road at 7.30pm. We sometimes have vacancies, currently mainly for bass instruments, horns and percussionists. Contact Andy Brown at email@example.com or on 07594240269 or via our website www.redlandwindband.co.uk . Get in touch if you would like to be put on our mailing list or would like to book us for events or fundraisers.
• Redland Green Choir meets for rehearsals every Monday 7.30pm9.30pm at Redland Green School. We sing a wide variety of music. New members welcome: no auditions. For more information, visit www.rgscommunitychoir.wordpress.com or phone 0117 9443042.
• Beaufort Junior Badminton Club. Venue: Cotham School Sports Hall, Cotham Lawn Road, BS6 6DT. Date/Time: Mondays from 6-7pm, term time only. Age Group: 11 18 years. All standards. Coaching and club play but also progression to Avon County Teams and senior clubs. Coaches CRB checked and Badminton England qualified. Contact: Penny Shears 0794 101 3514. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• RAFA, City of Bristol branch and club Eastfield Westbury on Trym for ex-RAF and associate members. Skittle Alley, parties and functions. Live entertainment on Saturday evenings. Open Monday to Saturday lunchtimes and evenings. Sundays noon till 5pm. All enquiries telephone 0117 3291913.
• New Fitness League (Exercise Movement and Dance class) for ladies. Low impact classes offer a fusion of dance, exercise and core strengthening, choreographed to music and guaranteed to put a smile on your face. Strengthen muscles, raise energy levels, improve balance and mobilise joints. 6.15-7.25pm at St Barts Church Hall, St Andrew’s, Maurice Road, BS6 5BZ. Contact Rachael on 07966 418 714 / email@example.com . £7 per class (1st Class Free).
•Senior Film Club - 3rd Monday of month, 2pm St Peter's Hall, The Drive, Henleaze.. September 19th, we'll be showing MAMA MIA - starring Meryl Streep. Everyone is welcome to join us... rumour has it there will be a sing along ! Refreshments (Tea & Cake) £3. Transport offered by Dial-A-Ride, Tel 0845 139 875 The Senior Film Club is supported by the Home Instead Bring Joy Foundation. For further details, please ring 0117 989 8210
• The Golden Buds is a group aimed at 18 months to 4yearolds and is a fabulous opportunity to be outside with your little ones, digging, playing, finding newts and frogs, watering, singing and making things all in the heart of urban Bristol! Sessions run from 9.30-11am and 11.30-1pm in school terms. We take booking on a term by term basis. Each session costs £5, a second sibling is £2 and under 12 months can come along free. There’s squash and biscuits and a snack from the garden as well as a hot drink for parents. For more info, visit: thegoldenhillcommunitygarden.com
• Scottish Country Dancing Get fit with Westbury Scottish Club. Classes for beginners at Leonard Hall, Trinity-Henleaze URC, Waterford Road, Henleaze, (Tel: Tina 0117 9075462). Classes for more advanced dancers at St Peter’s Church Hall, Henleaze, (Tel: Cheryl 0117 9590970). 7.30pm to 9.30pm wscbristol.com
• Friendly club based at Orchard School, Filton Road. Training on Tuesday 7.30 – 9pm, play on Saturdays. All ages welcome. If you would like to join us contact Michelle on 07980 598761 or: firstname.lastname@example.org .
• MOVE INTO FITNESS. Suitable exercise for the more mature ladies ran by a qualified teacher. Held at Horfield Baptist Church, 10.15am 11.15am. Tel: 01454 614886.
• Pregnancy Yoga and Birth Preparation Classes at Horfield Leisure Centre, 7.309.30pm. Each session we have time for discussion and learning around different aspects of pregnancy, birth or parenting, getting to know other women in the group, yoga postures, positions and movements for labour, breathing, and simple relaxation and meditation techniques that are useful for pregnancy, birth and beyond. Suitable from 14 weeks of pregnancy until birth. With Relaxed Birth and Parenting Childbirth Educator and Doula Ly Malnick. Cost: £10 per session. Contact: Ly Malnick on 07843 377 718 (Booking essential)
•Use the power of nutrition to improve your health, your mood and your figure. Eight week courses on Tuesdays at 2pm and 7pm, led by a BANT qualified nutritional therapist. Classes held at Lady Active, 180 Henleaze road, BS6 4NE. Tel: 07511 647 569 or email email@example.com for more details. www.nutritioncoachbristol.co.uk
• After school French Club for primary children at Gloucester Rd Quaker Meeting House. KS1 class: 4.10-4.50pm. £4.50. Playful practical classes full of games, songs and general silliness to inspire interest and confidence in French. Like French Club Bristol on Facebook or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Women’s Reading Group looking for new members. Meets monthly on the first Tuesday of the Month at 7:30pm. An informal group that reads a wide range of fiction. Contact Kay Snowdon email@example.com for further details.
• A weekly Music Appreciation class is running throughout the winter. Come and join us as we listen to and talk about a selection of mainly classical music. No prior knowledge needed. Tuesdays 11-1 at St Mary Magdalene Church Rooms, Stoke Bishop. Music in Britain 18901939 including Elgar Delius and Vaughan Williams. Cost £15 for a single taster session or £100 for the whole 8week term. To book email firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone 0117 214 0418. For more info visit: heartmusicbristol.wordpress.com
• Bingo On Tuesday’s At 2pm St Gregory’s Church Community Hall Filton Road Horfield All proceeds to Church funds.
•Melody Makers Baby Friendly Choir A fun and friendly daytime choir for ladies running Tuesdays during term time.9:30-11:00am, The Beehive Pub, BS9 4QY. £5 per session, discounts for members. Contact Natalie www.facebook.com/melodymakerschoir 07890393175.
•Bingo Every Tuesday 2pm St Gregory’s Church Community hall, Filton Road Horfield. All welcome, proceeds to Church funds
•Bingo St Gregory’s Church hall Filton Road Horfield Every Tuesday at 2-00pm Everyone welcome all proceeds to church funds
• Golden Hill Community Garden. 10.00am – 4.00pm. Come and get involved in your local community garden! No experience necessary and kids welcome. Learn about growing and relax in our beautiful space with a cup of tea. No need to come every week or stay all day. Our site is wheelchair accessible including our toilet. For more information contact Lucy email@example.com or 07506 905 394. We’re just through the gates at the end of Monk Rd BS7 8NE www.thegoldenhillcommunitygarden.com
• Bristol Voices Community Choir are welcoming new members, £5 a week (£3 concs) payable at the start of each term. We meet during the school term from 7.30pm to 9.30pm in St Werburgh’s Primary School, James St, BS2 9US. The school is fully accessible and has free parking. No experience is necessary and there are no auditions. You don’t have to read music either as all the songs are taught by ear. Our repertoire includes pop, folk, gospel, jazz, show tunes and world music. Find out more about the choir, at www.bristolvoices.org
•New Harmony Ladies’ Choir Bristol. Established choir since 1994, we offer a chance for ladies to get together and have a good old sing! No auditions are necessary apart from placing you into the correct voice group soprano, mezzo soprano or alto. We are a very socially minded group and often enjoy activities outside the singing role. We perform several concerts a year and sometimes travel to other parts of the country to sing with other choirs. Our repertoire covers classical, choral, jazz, popular, folk, and show songs. Everyone is welcome to Horfield URC church hall, Muller Rd on Wednesdays 7.30-9. We’d love to meet you. For more information contact our website www.nhlcbristol.co.uk or our secretary, Angela firstname.lastname@example.org
• Lazy Dog Film Club. A free, small, but perfectly formed community film club based at the Lazy Dog pub on Ashley Down Road. We run the club every other week (Wednesday) in the upstairs of the Pub on Ashley Hill. We screen from Oct April every year. All showings start at 8pm but we do advise people to book free places via LazyDogFilmClub@gmail.com , as we only have 35 seats per showing. For more information on the upcoming films, visit: www.facebook.com/LazyDogFilmClub
• Horfield Townswomen’s Guild. This friendly Townswomen’s Guild meets on the second Wednesday of each month at St Gregory the Great Church Hall, Filton Road, Horfield, Bristol BS7 0PD at 2.30pm. Why not come along and meet us? Just turn up, or ring Edna on 949 5413, and she will look out for you.
•St Bon’s playgroup. Fun, friendly drop-in group for babies and toddlers, up to school age. An informal playgroup in a lovely big space with great selection of toys. Just turn up and have fun! We run on term time Wednesdays 1.30 to 3.00pm upstairs in the church hall, BS7 8HR. Free car park (off Berkeley Road) next to St Bon’s church. £1.00 per adult and child, 20p for every extra child. Inc. refreshments. All welcome! Contact us at: email@example.com )
• Squirrel Camp Forest School, Badock’s Wood, 9.45 11.15 (during term time). New afternoon group starting in autumn, 12.30, £6 per family. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org .
• Calling all dads! Not sure what to do with your kids over the summer holidays? Join us for six FREE workshops for you and your kids! Activities include gardening, IT cookery and much more. Spend time with your kids, and get to know some other local dads too. Call Rachel on 0117 909 1749 or email email@example.com to book your places! 1-4pm, every Wednesday (from 23rd July) at The Wordsworth Centre.
• Reading group with a difference at Cheltenham Road library, from 3pm. The group meet every week to discuss short fiction, poems, essays, memoirs and learn to look at these with a more critical eye than usual. Led by practicing writer Anita Mason, author of The Illusionist, Angel, The Right Hand of the Sun and other novels. For the over 60s. No reading to do in between meetings. First session is a drop-in. People interested, email amreadinggroup @gmail.com , or tell the librarian at Cheltenham Road library that you are interested.
•Mindfulness & Movement – Meditation and Qi Gong/Tai Chi for wellbeing. Gentle aerobic exercise and secular meditations for strength of body and mind. Dropin class, all equipment provided, 5.45-7.15pm £9 / £7 Bristol Buddhist Centre, 162 Gloucester Road BS7. Tel Tim Mason 07789 200685 for more info. See www.bristolbuddhistcentre. org/otheractivities/yogaandqigong
• Sing! with the Bristol Children’s Choir. Open to children aged 713 from any school in Bristol. If your child loves singing and would like to do more, Out There Music Children’s Choir could be what you are looking for. We meet every Wednesday in term time from 4.45-6pm in the performing arts studio at Cotham School. More info, contact Holly Shannon on 07866587424, firstname.lastname@example.org .
• New Fitness League (Exercise Movement and Dance class) for ladies. Low impact classes offer a fusion of dance, exercise and core strengthening, choreographed to music and guaranteed to put a smile on your face. Strengthen muscles, raise energy levels, improve balance and mobilise joints. 10.40-11.40am at St Alban’s Church Hall, Westbury Park, Coldharbour Road, BS6 7NU. Contact Rachael on 07966 418 714 / email@example.com . £7 per class (1st Class Free).
• Clifton Women’s Institute, 7.30pm on the last Wednesday of the month at Alma Church, Alma Road, Clifton BS8 2ES. Contact by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.cliftonwi.blogspot.co.uk . Take advantage of our guest visits which are just £4. Better still why not join us and enjoy our fabulous Clifton WI 2016 programme for the whole year plus social clubs. Full membership details available.
• Spiritual Healing at Westbury Park Spiritualist church BS6 7TH Every Wednesday, 2pm - 3.30pm every week. No appointment necessary, animals welcome. Come along and feel the benefit. Also healing after Sunday evening service@8pm.
•Margaret Morris Movement dance/exercise. Bradbury Hall, Henleaze. All welcome 1.0-2.0 pm £4 per session, 1st free Tricia, 07896346486
• Bishop Road Community Choir. We are a mixed community choir, meeting at Bishop Road School from 7.45pm to 9pm. Everyone welcome to join, regardless of singing experience. There is no audition and the choir is open to anyone, not just parents of children at the school. We sing a variety of songs and perform locally. Looking forward to welcoming some new faces!
•Bristol Ladies Choir sings a wide range of music from classical to light. The choir rehearses weekly and gives two main concerts each year. The choir also participates in approximately 9 to 10 other concerts in the Bristol area each year. Meet at 2.15pm - 3.45pm at Church of the Good Shepherd, Bishop Road, Bishopston, BS7 8NA. New members welcome. For more information contact Hazel on 0117 9246587 or visit www.bristolladieschoir.org.uk
• The Stepford Singers. Come and try Bishopston’s all female community choir. No need to read music and no auditions! We meet 1pm - 3pm so you can still be in time to pick up kids from school. For more info, email email@example.com
•West Bristol Orchestra meet at the United Reformed Church, Muller Road, from 7.15 - 9.15pm and play a wide range of classical music arranged for our small friendly orchestra. String players of Grade 5 and above are particularly welcome. For further information please ring 0117 968 3998.
• Avon Harmony Ladies A Cappella Chorus meets for rehearsals every Thursday 7.30 -10pm at Fairfield High School, Allfoxton Road BS7 9NL. Visitors are always made welcome, and we are actively recruiting new members. There is no need to be able to read music; we provide teaching tracks for learning by ear. See our website for more details www.avonharmony.co.uk or contact Mandy on 0117 652693 or Barbara on 07717 424421.
• Horfield Quakers hold a half-hour meeting for worship to be held every Thursday Evening from 6.307pm, at Horfield Quaker Meeting House, 300 Gloucester Road, Bristol, BS7 8PD. All are welcome.
• Pregnancy Yoga and Birth Preparation at Horfield Leisure Centre, 7.30-9.15pm. The classes offer you the time to celebrate your pregnancy, relax with your baby, ask questions and meet other mumstobe in a safe and welcoming environment. We cover breathing, relaxation, yoga and movement, active birth, hypnobirthing and physiology of labour and birth. For more information visit www.lymalnick.info, or contact Ly on 07843 377 718 / firstname.lastname@example.org
•Slimming World Bishopston. St Michael and All Angels Church (Pigsty Hill) Gloucester Road. Groups at 9.30am and 7.30pm every Thursday. A friendly, supportive and vibrant weekly group. Full support, advice and a liberating eating plan. No calorie counting and eating to satisfy everyone’s appetite. £9.95 to join and £4.95 per week after that. 6 and 12 week countdowns available. Just turn up or Call Sue on 0117 924 3556 or 07702 578 298 for a chat.
•Kings Lawn Tennis Club Rusty Rackets, 19:30-21: 00. Want to get back into tennis? Come along to our fun and welcoming Rusty Rackets session every Thursday evening at Kings Lawn Tennis Club, Maplemeade ( just off Kings Drive) BS7 8JG. Nonmembers (£8) and members (£6) welcome! Contact Head Coach Elly Shearman only tennis .email@example.com for more details!
• Bridge for Beginners and Improvers West of England Bridge Club now welcomes new/novice bridge players for weekly sessions held every Thursday afternoon. Cost £3. Doors open at 1.45pm and play is from 2.00pm to 4.00pm. No partner needed and we have experienced players to help and advice. Beginners lessons also offered email bridgeclassbristol @gmail.com or ring 0117 2302694 for more info. Venue: Golden Hill Sports Club, Wimbledon Road, Bristol BS6 7YA. Full details at www.woebc.co.uk
• Spiritualist church Westbury Park Cairns Road BS6 7TH Open development circle Thursday evening at 7.15 for 7.30 start All are welcome to come along and find the Spirit within you. You don’t have to be a church member.
• Sporting Memories Group at the Gloucestershire County Cricket Ground most Thursdays from 11am to 12.30pm. A group suitable for people that are isolated or lonely and may have memory difficulties. The group is particularly for those that are interested in sport. Please contact John Collis on 07757527634 or come along to the ground from 11am.
• Gloucester Road Market runs every Saturday from 10am-5pm on Pigsty Hill. Stalls include Herbert’s Bakery, The Spotless Leopard, Lee’s Teaks and Sam’s Jams.
• Whiteladies Farmers’ and Fair Trading Market is now held EVERY Saturday, from 8.30am-2pm. Takes place at the junction of Whiteladies/Apsley/Burlington Roads. Stalls cover bread, cheese, local lamb and chicken, fish, preserves, cakes, sushi, local fruit and veg, wild food larder, and recycled tools, wooden items and much more.
• Coffee, Tea and Refreshments served every Saturday from 10.30am to noon at Bishopston Methodist Church, 245 Gloucester Road. Join us for a rest and a chat.
•The Clifton Garden Society are eager to attract new members from all parts of Bristol. The Society offer monthly visits by coach to country houses and gardens, a quarterly newsletter. and an annual holiday. If you would like to join this friendly group please call 0117 9737296 for full details.