What's On May 2017
May 2 •Bristol Music Club Clifton Tuesday 2nd May at 7.30pm. 6 Klavierstücke, Op. 118 Brahms Piano Sonata No.31 Op 110, Beethoven. Cello sonata "Arpeggione" D821 Schubert Leah Leong cello, Francesa Orlando piano. Royal Academy Students
•Bristol Music Club Clifton Tuesday 2nd May at 7.30pm. 6 Klavierstücke, Op. 118 Brahms Piano Sonata No.31 Op 110, Beethoven. Cello sonata "Arpeggione" D821 Schubert Leah Leong cello, Francesa Orlando piano. Royal Academy Students
•Japanese sword-work classes. Study the principles of an iconic weapon. Shin Bokuto Do (the way of the wooden sword). It's a good starting point. No experience necessary. Just an open mind. I can supply the necessary equipment, but it's you, too Learn something ostensibly useless that might change your life... Awareness, concentration, mindfulness, etc. etc. Starts Tuesday 9th May @ the Scout Hut, Hurle Road, (off Whiteladies Road), Clifton, BS8 2SY. Check "Bristolaikijutsu.co.uk". For more info call Charles on 07967 142148.
•'Friends on Friday',dementia friendly cafe,for all those with dementia & their friends/family/carers;Friday 12th May,2-4pm,All Saints Church, Pembroke Road, Clifton. Come & join us for tea,cake & activities in a friendly,fun & supportive environment. 2pm-4pm. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
May 13 & 14
• Free Annual Music Festival to be held at the Bristol Music Club Clifton. Details www.reallyclassicalrelay.co.uk
May 17 & 25
• We are Bristol U3A - a unique organisation offering friendship, fun and learning. If you have retired from full-time work and would like to learn a new skill, explore a new hobby, or just socialise - we have a wide range of groups with over 100 different activities, including art, computing, languages, gardens, music, books, walking, science and current affairs. Drop-in to one of our many social groups. Come to Browns Restaurant, by the Museum, at 10.15am on the 3rd Wednesday & 4th Thursday of every month, details: Jenny 0117 9043697. Or our coffee morning and talk in the Broadmead Baptist Church on the 3rd Tuesday at 10.00am. Please visit our website: www.bristolu3a.org.uk. If we’re going to live longer, make the most of it - don't let life pass you by!
May 18 & 20
• St Alban’s Players present “Ladies’ Day” by Amanda Whittington. Meet the fish-filleting foursome Pearl, Jan, Shelley and Linda whose fortunes are set to change when Linda finds tickets to Ladies’ Day at Royal Ascot the year it relocated to York. A fun comedy from the award winning Players! Thursday 18th May – Saturday 20th May 2017 St Alban’s Church Hall, Bayswater Avenue, Westbury Park, Bristol BS6 7NU. 7.30pm (doors open at 7pm) Price £9 adult or £6 Friend/Student Book online: stalbansplayers.co.uk/boxoffice or telephone: 0117 924 7266
• Redland Wind Band's spring concert will be on Saturday 20th May at The Redmaids’ School, featuring the world premiere of a piece commissioned for our 25 birthday! Tickets £9 or £11 on the door. Come and join us. www.redlandwindband.co.uk
• Avon Organic Group - Our last meeting before the summer break is on Thursday, 25th May 2017, 7pm – 9pm at The Station (in the Dance Studio), Silver Street, Bristol. BS1 2AG. 25th May 2017: Talk "Pests & Diseases" with Tim Foster, local author & lecturer. We will be holding our annual Plant sale on the night so bring along any spare plants and seedlings too. All welcome. Visitors £5/Members £2. www.groworganicbristol.org / email@example.com
What’s on a regular basis
• Toddler group at Ardagh Pavilion, Kellaway Avenue, Horfield Common. Ages 03, cost £2.50 per family includes refreshments and biscuits. All welcome. Friendly vibrant group just drop in. Contact Kay on 01179426580 for further details.
• FitSteps, Ashley Down Primary School, Olveston Road, 7-8pm. FitSteps® the new craze in dance fitness classes from ‘Strictly Come Dancing’s’ very own Natalie Lowe, Ian Waite and Mark Foster. This really is the most fun, graceful way to get in shape.
• Kick Start Fat Loss Club, Ashley Down Primary School, Olveston Road, 8-9pm. Kick Start Fat Loss is a revolutionary new diet and exercise club currently running in Bristol. There is no calorie counting, daily points, fad foods or complicated workouts. *Weekly weigh in, measure and body stat recording.
• Morris for fitness and fun, 7.15pm – 8.15pm at Horfield URC, Muller Road, Horfield, BS7 9RE during term time only, no performance element, small groups. Sticks and hankies provided. Tel/text: 07813 346819 / 0117 9401566, www.thegreatcaper.co.uk
• Redland Wind Band rehearses at the Quakers Meeting Room on Gloucester Road at 7.30pm. We sometimes have vacancies, currently mainly for bass instruments, horns and percussionists. Contact Andy Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07594240269 or via our website www.redlandwindband.co.uk . Get in touch if you would like to be put on our mailing list or would like to book us for events or fundraisers.
• Redland Green Choir meets for rehearsals every Monday 7.30pm9.30pm at Redland Green School. We sing a wide variety of music. New members welcome: no auditions. For more information, visit www.rgscommunitychoir.wordpress.com or phone 0117 9443042.
• Beaufort Junior Badminton Club. Venue: Cotham School Sports Hall, Cotham Lawn Road, BS6 6DT. Date/Time: Mondays from 6-7pm, term time only. Age Group: 11 18 years. All standards. Coaching and club play but also progression to Avon County Teams and senior clubs. Coaches CRB checked and Badminton England qualified. Contact: Penny Shears 0794 101 3514. Email: email@example.com
• RAFA, City of Bristol branch and club Eastfield Westbury on Trym for ex-RAF and associate members. Skittle Alley, parties and functions. Live entertainment on Saturday evenings. Open Monday to Saturday lunchtimes and evenings. Sundays noon till 5pm. All enquiries telephone 0117 3291913.
• New Fitness League (Exercise Movement and Dance class) for ladies. Low impact classes offer a fusion of dance, exercise and core strengthening, choreographed to music. Strengthen muscles, raise energy levels, improve balance and mobilise joints. 6.20-7.45pm at Fairlawn Primary School, Fairlawn Road, Montpelier, Bristol, BS6 5JL. Contact Rachael on 07966 418 714 / rachaelwilliams@ talktalk.net . The classes are ran on 5-7 week basis - charged as a block booking. This works out at £8 per class (1st Class Free).
• Mondays 10:00am, 11:15am, 18:00pm. Yoga for everyone and all stages of life. Move, breathe, strengthen, calm at our beautiful YogaSpace Bishopston studio. Find out more at www.bristolyogaspace.co.uk or contact Clara firstname.lastname@example.org / 07530 053 543.
• Senior Film Club, every third Monday in the month at 2pm n St Peter's Hall, The Drive, Henleaze, BS9 4LD. All Welcome. Refreshments £3. Dial-a-ride transport possible by personal arrangement ; 0845 130 1875. Next gathering is on Monday May 15th, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" starring Audrey Hepburn.
• Redland Green Bowls Club welcomes new members, come along to our club on Redland Green any Monday after 4pm , or book a free taster session any other time ,with one of our qualified coaches. Jean or Gerry :Tel 9624466 . HALF PRICE membership for the first year (£50)
• The Golden Buds is a group aimed at 18 months to 4yearolds and is a fabulous opportunity to be outside with your little ones, digging, playing, finding newts and frogs, watering, singing and making things all in the heart of urban Bristol! Sessions run from 9.30-11am and 11.30-1pm in school terms. We take booking on a term by term basis. Each session costs £5, a second sibling is £2 and under 12 months can come along free. There’s squash and biscuits and a snack from the garden as well as a hot drink for parents. For more info, visit: thegoldenhillcommunitygarden.com
• Scottish Country Dancing Get fit with Westbury Scottish Club. Classes for beginners at Leonard Hall, Trinity-Henleaze URC, Waterford Road, Henleaze, (Tel: Tina 0117 9075462). Classes for more advanced dancers at St Peter’s Church Hall, Henleaze, (Tel: Cheryl 0117 9590970). 7.30pm to 9.30pm wscbristol.com
• Friendly club based at Orchard School, Filton Road. Training on Tuesday 7.30 – 9pm, play on Saturdays. All ages welcome. If you would like to join us contact Michelle on 07980 598761 or: email@example.com .
• MOVE INTO FITNESS. Suitable exercise for the more mature ladies ran by a qualified teacher. Held at Horfield Baptist Church, 10.15am 11.15am. Tel: 01454 614886.
• Pregnancy Yoga and Birth Preparation Classes at Horfield Leisure Centre, 7.309.30pm. Each session we have time for discussion and learning around different aspects of pregnancy, birth or parenting, getting to know other women in the group, yoga postures, positions and movements for labour, breathing, and simple relaxation and meditation techniques that are useful for pregnancy, birth and beyond. Suitable from 14 weeks of pregnancy until birth. With Relaxed Birth and Parenting Childbirth Educator and Doula Ly Malnick. Cost: £10 per session. Contact: Ly Malnick on 07843 377 718 (Booking essential)
• Use the power of nutrition to improve your health, your mood and your figure. Eight week courses on Tuesdays at 2pm and 7pm, led by a BANT qualified nutritional therapist. Classes held at Lady Active, 180 Henleaze road, BS6 4NE. Tel: 07511 647 569 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. www.nutritioncoachbristol.co.uk
• After school French Club for primary children at Gloucester Rd Quaker Meeting House. KS1 class: 4.10-4.50pm. £4.50. Playful practical classes full of games, songs and general silliness to inspire interest and confidence in French. Like French Club Bristol on Facebook or email: email@example.com
• Women’s Reading Group looking for new members. Meets monthly on the first Tuesday of the Month at 7:30pm. An informal group that reads a wide range of fiction. Contact Kay Snowdon firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
• A weekly Music Appreciation class is running throughout the winter. Come and join us as we listen to and talk about a selection of mainly classical music. No prior knowledge needed. Tuesdays 11-1 at St Mary Magdalene Church Rooms, Stoke Bishop. Music in Britain 18901939 including Elgar Delius and Vaughan Williams. Cost £15 for a single taster session or £100 for the whole 8week term. To book email email@example.com, or phone 0117 214 0418. For more info visit: heartmusicbristol.wordpress.com
• Melody Makers Baby Friendly Choir A fun and friendly daytime choir for ladies running Tuesdays during term time.9:30-11:00am, The Beehive Pub, BS9 4QY. £5 per session, discounts for members. Contact Natalie www.facebook.com/melodymakerschoir 07890393175.
• Bingo St Gregory’s Church hall Filton Road Horfield Every Tuesday at 2-00pm Everyone welcome all proceeds to church funds
• Golden Hill Community Garden. 10.00am – 4.00pm. Come and get involved in your local community garden! No experience necessary and kids welcome. Learn about growing and relax in our beautiful space with a cup of tea. No need to come every week or stay all day. Our site is wheelchair accessible including our toilet. For more information contact Lucy firstname.lastname@example.org or 07506 905 394. We’re just through the gates at the end of Monk Rd BS7 8NE www.thegoldenhillcommunitygarden.com
• Bristol Voices Community Choir are welcoming new members, £5 a week (£3 concs) payable at the start of each term. We meet during the school term from 7.30pm to 9.30pm in St Werburgh’s Primary School, James St, BS2 9US. The school is fully accessible and has free parking. No experience is necessary and there are no auditions. You don’t have to read music either as all the songs are taught by ear. Our repertoire includes pop, folk, gospel, jazz, show tunes and world music. Find out more about the choir, at www.bristolvoices.org
• New Harmony Ladies’ Choir Bristol. Established choir since 1994, we offer a chance for ladies to get together and have a good old sing! No auditions are necessary apart from placing you into the correct voice group soprano, mezzo soprano or alto. We are a very socially minded group and often enjoy activities outside the singing role. We perform several concerts a year and sometimes travel to other parts of the country to sing with other choirs. Our repertoire covers classical, choral, jazz, popular, folk, and show songs. Everyone is welcome to Horfield URC church hall, Muller Rd on Wednesdays 7.30-9. We’d love to meet you. For more information contact our website www.nhlcbristol.co.uk or our secretary, Angela email@example.com
• Lazy Dog Film Club. A free, small, but perfectly formed community film club based at the Lazy Dog pub on Ashley Down Road. We run the club every other week (Wednesday) in the upstairs of the Pub on Ashley Hill. We screen from Oct April every year. All showings start at 8pm but we do advise people to book free places via LazyDogFilmClub@gmail.com , as we only have 35 seats per showing. For more information on the upcoming films, visit: www.facebook.com/LazyDogFilmClub
• Horfield Townswomen’s Guild. This friendly Townswomen’s Guild meets on the second Wednesday of each month at St Gregory the Great Church Hall, Filton Road, Horfield, Bristol BS7 0PD at 2.30pm. Why not come along and meet us? Just turn up, or ring Edna on 949 5413, and she will look out for you.
• Squirrel Camp Forest School, Badock’s Wood, 9.45 11.15 (during term time). New afternoon group starting in autumn, 12.30, £6 per family. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org .
• Reading group with a difference at Cheltenham Road Library, from 3pm. The group meets every fortnight to discuss short fiction, essays, memoirs and learn to look at these with a more critical eye.For the over 60's. No reading to do between meetings. People interested please speak to the Librarian at Cheltenham Road Library.
• Mindfulness & Movement – Meditation and Qi Gong/Tai Chi for wellbeing. Gentle aerobic exercise and secular meditations for strength of body and mind. Dropin class, all equipment provided, 5.45-7.15pm £9 / £7 Bristol Buddhist Centre, 162 Gloucester Road BS7. Tel Tim Mason 07789 200685 for more info. See www.bristolbuddhistcentre. org/otheractivities/yogaandqigong
• Sing! with the Bristol Children’s Choir. Open to children aged 7-13 from any school in Bristol. If your child loves singing and would like to do more, Out There Music Children’s Choir could be what you are looking for. We meet every Wednesday in term time from 4.45-6pm in the performing arts studio at Cotham School. More info, contact Holly Shannon on 07866587424, email@example.com .
• Clifton Women’s Institute, 7.30pm on the last Wednesday of the month at Alma Church, Alma Road, Clifton BS8 2ES. Contact by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.cliftonwi.blogspot.co.uk . Take advantage of our guest visits which are just £4. Better still why not join us and enjoy our fabulous Clifton WI 2016 programme for the whole year plus social clubs. Full membership details available.
• Spiritual Healing at Westbury Park Spiritualist church BS6 7TH Every Wednesday, 2pm - 3.30pm every week. No appointment necessary, animals welcome. Come along and feel the benefit. Also healing after Sunday evening service@8pm.
• Margaret Morris Movement dance/exercise. Bradbury Hall, Henleaze. All welcome 1.0-2.0 pm £4 per session, 1st free Tricia, 07896346486
• Wednesdays 10:00am. Baby & Me post-natal yoga class, 10:00 - 11:00am plus tea and chat after. Supportive, friendly class with babies made very welcome. Move, breathe, meet and chat with other new mums at YogaSpace Bishopston. Find out more at www.bristolyogaspace.co.uk or contact Clara email@example.com / 07530 053 543.
• Why not join welsh national opera Friends. We support this world class company and everyone is very welcome to join. We offer:Monthly evening meetings at Redmaids High School MONTHLY on WEDNESDAYS at 7.15pm-these are talks with music. Costs-Friends £5.0 - There are many other benefits
For further information contact:
• Bishop Road Community Choir. We are a mixed community choir, meeting at Bishop Road School from 7.45pm to 9pm. Everyone welcome to join, regardless of singing experience. There is no audition and the choir is open to anyone, not just parents of children at the school. We sing a variety of songs and perform locally. Looking forward to welcoming some new faces!
• Bristol Ladies Choir sings a wide range of music from classical to light. The choir rehearses weekly and gives two main concerts each year. The choir also participates in approximately 9 to 10 other concerts in the Bristol area each year. Meet at 2.15pm - 3.45pm at Church of the Good Shepherd, Bishop Road, Bishopston, BS7 8NA. New members welcome. For more information contact Hazel on 0117 9246587 or visit www.bristolladieschoir.org.uk
• The Stepford Singers. Come and try Bishopston’s all female community choir. No need to read music and no auditions! We meet 1pm - 3pm so you can still be in time to pick up kids from school. For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org
• West Bristol Orchestra meet at the United Reformed Church, Muller Road, from 7.15 - 9.15pm and play a wide range of classical music arranged for our small friendly orchestra. String players of Grade 5 and above are particularly welcome. For further information please ring 0117 968 3998.
• Avon Harmony Ladies A Cappella Chorus meets for rehearsals every Thursday 7.30 -10pm at Fairfield High School, Allfoxton Road BS7 9NL. Visitors are always made welcome, and we are actively recruiting new members. There is no need to be able to read music; we provide teaching tracks for learning by ear. See our website for more details www.avonharmony.co.uk or contact Mandy on 0117 652693 or Barbara on 07717 424421.
• Horfield Quakers hold a half-hour meeting for worship to be held every Thursday Evening from 6.307pm, at Horfield Quaker Meeting House, 300 Gloucester Road, Bristol, BS7 8PD. All are welcome.
• Pregnancy Yoga and Birth Preparation at Horfield Leisure Centre, 7.30-9.15pm. The classes offer you the time to celebrate your pregnancy, relax with your baby, ask questions and meet other mumstobe in a safe and welcoming environment. We cover breathing, relaxation, yoga and movement, active birth, hypnobirthing and physiology of labour and birth. For more information visit www.lymalnick.info, or contact Ly on 07843 377 718 / email@example.com
• Slimming World Bishopston. St Michael and All Angels Church (Pigsty Hill) Gloucester Road. Groups at 9.30am and 7.30pm every Thursday. A friendly, supportive and vibrant weekly group. Full support, advice and a liberating eating plan. No calorie counting and eating to satisfy everyone’s appetite. £9.95 to join and £4.95 per week after that. 6 and 12 week countdowns available. Just turn up or Call Sue on 0117 924 3556 or 07702 578 298 for a chat.
• Kings Lawn Tennis Club Rusty Rackets, 19:30-21: 00. Want to get back into tennis? Come along to our fun and welcoming Rusty Rackets session every Thursday evening at Kings Lawn Tennis Club, Maplemeade ( just off Kings Drive) BS7 8JG. Nonmembers (£8) and members (£6) welcome! Contact Head Coach Elly Shearman only tennis .firstname.lastname@example.org for more details!
• Bridge for Beginners and Improvers West of England Bridge Club now welcomes new/novice bridge players for weekly sessions held every Thursday afternoon. Cost £3. Doors open at 1.45pm and play is from 2.00pm to 4.00pm. No partner needed and we have experienced players to help and advice. Beginners lessons also offered email bridgeclassbristol @gmail.com or ring 0117 2302694 for more info. Venue: Golden Hill Sports Club, Wimbledon Road, Bristol BS6 7YA. Full details at www.woebc.co.uk
• Spiritualist church Westbury Park Cairns Road BS6 7TH Open development circle Thursday evening at 7.15 for 7.30 start All are welcome to come along and find the Spirit within you. You don’t have to be a church member.
• Sporting Memories Group at the Gloucestershire County Cricket Ground most Thursdays from 11am to 12.30pm. A group suitable for people that are isolated or lonely and may have memory difficulties. The group is particularly for those that are interested in sport. Please contact John Collis on 07757527634 or come along to the ground from 11am.
• Gloucester Road Market runs every Saturday from 10am-5pm on Pigsty Hill. Stalls include Herbert’s Bakery, The Spotless Leopard, Lee’s Teaks and Sam’s Jams.
• Whiteladies Farmers’ and Fair Trading Market is now held EVERY Saturday, from 8.30am-2pm. Takes place at the junction of Whiteladies/Apsley/Burlington Roads. Stalls cover bread, cheese, local lamb and chicken, fish, preserves, cakes, sushi, local fruit and veg, wild food larder, and recycled tools, wooden items and much more.
• Coffee, Tea and Refreshments served every Saturday from 10.30am to noon at Bishopston Methodist Church, 245 Gloucester Road. Join us for a rest and a chat.
• The Clifton Garden Society are eager to attract new members from all parts of Bristol. The Society offer monthly visits by coach to country houses and gardens, a quarterly newsletter. and an annual holiday. If you would like to join this friendly group please call 0117 9737296 for full details.
• 10:00am and 11:30am. Pregnancy yoga and birth preparation classes with Vivien Tallis at the beautiful YogaSpace Bishopston studio. Move, breathe, calm, chat and discover helpful, practical active birth support. Find out more at www.bristolyogaspace.co.uk or contact Clara email@example.com / 07530 053 543.
Home design workshops
Bristol Life Awards Finalist Zoë Hewett Interiors: Stylemongers of Bristol has begun running introductory Interior Design Workshops in the heart of Bristol’s arts quarter at Hamilton House on Stokes Croft, empowering participants to confidently colour and decorate their homes by learning about the design process and creating a moodboard to take away. The next half day workshops will take place back to back on 13th May 2017. Participants are encouraged to share the fruits of the labours on Instagram using the hashtag #mybristolhome for the whole of this creative city to see and celebrate.
For more information: www.zoehewettinteriors.co.uk/workshop