What's On July 2017
June 24 •The next meeting of the South Western Branch of the Elgar Society
•The next meeting of the South Western Branch of the Elgar Society is on Sat 24th June, at 2.15pm at the Bristol Music Club, 76, St. Pauls Road, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1LP.Our speaker will be Duncan Eves who will present a programme entitled - Alice Stuart-Wortley and the 2nd Symphony. Duncan will investigate the work's composition and the lady's influence on it.Visitors pay £3.00 which includes refreshments. We look forward to seeing you and any of your friends at this meeting. For more information - please contact Doug Smith - Tel. 01179673480, or email - firstname.lastname@example.org
• Car boot & wheelbarrow sale. St. Bonaventure's Car Park (off Berkeley Road, Bishopston)Car £5, wheelbarrow £350p admission, children free.Tea/coffee and cakes available.Booking essential - email@example.com tel: 07929 399 907 2 – 4pm
•“What we did on our holidays”, 2013 comedy with Billy Connolly, Rosamund Pike, David Tennant. 2pm St Peter's Hall, The Drive, Henleaze. Refreshments £3. Please spread the word and bring a friend. Supported by Home Instead Senior Care 0117 9898210.
•The next meeting of the South Western Branch of the Elgar Society is on Sat 29th July, at 2.15pm at the Bristol Music Club, 76 St. Paul's Road, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1LP. Our speaker will be Dr. Christopher Wiltshire who will introduce recordings and memories of people acquainted with our composer. Visitors pay £3.00 which includes refreshments. Please do come along, we would love to see you and your friends. For more information - please contact Doug Smith - Tel. 0117 9673480, or email - firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s on a regular basis
• Toddler group at Ardagh Pavilion, Kellaway Avenue, Horfield Common. Ages 0-3, cost £2.50 per family includes refreshments and biscuits. All welcome. Friendly vibrant group just drop in. Contact Kay on 01179426580 for further details.
• FitSteps, Ashley Down Primary School, Olveston Road, 7-8pm. FitSteps® the new craze in dance fitness classes from ‘Strictly Come Dancing’s’ very own Natalie Lowe, Ian Waite and Mark Foster.
• Morris for fitness and fun, 7.15pm – 8.15pm at Horfield URC, Muller Road, Horfield, BS7 9RE during term time only, no performance element, small groups. Sticks and hankies provided. Tel/text: Kim on 07813 346819 / 0117 9401566
• Redland Wind Band rehearses at the Quakers Meeting Room on Gloucester Road at 7.30pm. We sometimes have vacancies, currently mainly for bass instruments, horns and percussionists. Contact Andy Brown at email@example.com or on 07594240269 or via our website www.redlandwindband.co.uk . Get in touch if you would like to be put on our mailing list or would like to book us for events or fundraisers.
• Redland Green Choir meets for rehearsals every Monday 7.30pm9.30pm at Redland Green School. We sing a wide variety of music. New members welcome: no auditions. For more information, visit redlandgreenchoir.org.uk. or phone 0117 9443042.
• Beaufort Junior Badminton Club. Venue: Cotham School Sports Hall, Cotham Lawn Road, BS6 6DT. Date/Time: Mondays from 6-7pm, term time only. Age Group: 11 18 years. All standards. Coaching and club play but also progression to Avon County Teams and senior clubs. Coaches CRB checked and Badminton England qualified. Contact: Penny Shears 0794 101 3514. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• RAFA, City of Bristol branch and club Eastfield Westbury on Trym for ex-RAF and associate members. Skittle Alley, parties and functions. Live entertainment on Saturday evenings. Open Monday to Saturday lunchtimes and evenings. Sundays noon till 5pm. All enquiries telephone 0117 3291913.
• New Fitness League (Exercise Movement and Dance class) for ladies. Low impact classes offer a fusion of dance, exercise and core strengthening, choreographed to music. Strengthen muscles, raise energy levels, improve balance and mobilise joints. 6.20-7.45pm at Fairlawn Primary School, Fairlawn Road, Montpelier, Bristol, BS6 5JL. Contact Rachael on 07966 418 714 / rachaelwilliams@ talktalk.net . The classes are ran on 5-7 week basis - charged as a block booking. This works out at £8 per class (1st Class Free).
• Mondays 10:00am, 11:15am, 18:00pm. Yoga for everyone and all stages of life. Move, breathe, strengthen, calm at our beautiful YogaSpace Bishopston studio. Find out more at www.bristolyogaspace.co.uk or contact Clara email@example.com / 07530 053 543.
• Senior Film Club, every third Monday in the month at 2pm St Peter's Hall, The Drive, Henleaze, BS9 4LD. All Welcome. Refreshments £3. Dial-a-ride transport possible by personal arrangement ; 0845 130 1875. Next gathering is on Monday July 17th, What we did on our holidays, 2013 comedy with Billy Connolly.
• Redland Green Bowls Club welcomes new members, come along to our club on Redland Green any Monday after 4pm , or book a free taster session any other time ,with one of our qualified coaches. Jean or Gerry :Tel 9624466 . HALF PRICE membership for the first year (£50)
• Westbury Park WI. The Westbury Park WI meet on the first Monday of every month at Redland Church Halls, Redland Green BS6 7HE, 7.30-9pm. For those who want to walk as a group across the park, please meet at the Metford Road entrance to park by 7.15pm. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
• The Golden Buds is a group aimed at 18 months to 4yearolds and is a fabulous opportunity to be outside with your little ones, digging, playing, finding newts and frogs, watering, singing and making things all in the heart of urban Bristol! Sessions run from 9.30-11am and 11.30-1pm in school terms. We take booking on a term by term basis. Each session costs £5, a second sibling is £2.50 and under 12 months can come along free. There’s squash and biscuits and a snack from the garden as well as a hot drink for parents. For more info, visit: thegoldenhillcommunitygarden.com
• Scottish Country Dancing Get fit with Westbury Scottish Club. Classes for beginners at Leonard Hall, Trinity-Henleaze URC, Waterford Road, Henleaze, (Tel: Tina 0117 9075462). Classes for more advanced dancers at St Peter’s Church Hall, Henleaze, (Tel: Cheryl 0117 9590970). 7.30pm to 9.30pm wscbristol.com
• After school French Club for primary children at Gloucester Rd Quaker Meeting House. KS1 class: 4.10-4.50pm. £4.50. KS2 class: 5.00-5.40pm. £4.50. Playful practical classes full of games, songs and general silliness to inspire interest and confidence in French. Like French Club Bristol on Facebook or email: email@example.com
• Women’s Reading Group looking for new members. Meets monthly on the first Tuesday of the Month at 7:30pm. An informal group that reads a wide range of fiction. Contact Kay Snowdon firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
• A weekly Music Appreciation class is running throughout the winter. Come and join us as we listen to and talk about a selection of mainly classical music. No prior knowledge needed. Tuesdays 11-1 at St Mary Magdalene Church Rooms, Stoke Bishop. Music in Britain 18901939 including Elgar Delius and Vaughan Williams. Cost £15 for a single taster session or £100 for the whole 8week term. To book email email@example.com, or phone 0117 214 0418. For more info visit: heartmusicbristol.wordpress.com
• Melody Makers Baby Friendly Choir A fun and friendly daytime choir for ladies running Tuesdays during term time.9:30-11:00am, The Beehive Pub, BS9 4QY. £5 per session, discounts for members. Contact Natalie www.facebook.com/melodymakerschoir 07890393175.
• Golden Hill Community Garden. 10.00am – 4.00pm. Come and get involved in your local community garden! No experience necessary and kids welcome. Learn about growing and relax in our beautiful space with a cup of tea. No need to come every week or stay all day. Our site is wheelchair accessible including our toilet. For more information contact Lucy firstname.lastname@example.org or 07506 905 394. We’re just through the gates at the end of Monk Rd BS7 8NE www.thegoldenhillcommunitygarden.com
• Bristol Voices Community Choir are welcoming new members, £5 a week (£3 concs) payable at the start of each term. We meet during the school term from 7.30pm to 9.30pm in St Werburgh’s Primary School, James St, BS2 9US. The school is fully accessible and has free parking. No experience necessary, no auditions and you don’t have to read music as all the songs are taught by ear. Our repertoire includes pop, folk, gospel, jazz, show tunes and world music. Find out more about the choir, at www.bristolvoices.org.uk
• New Harmony Ladies’ Choir Bristol. Established choir since 1994, we offer a chance for ladies to get together and have a good old sing! No auditions are necessary apart from placing you into the correct voice group soprano, mezzo soprano or alto. We perform several concerts a year and sometimes travel to other parts of the country to sing with other choirs. Our repertoire covers classical, choral, jazz, popular, folk, and show songs. Everyone is welcome to Horfield URC church hall, Muller Rd on Wednesdays 7.30-9.30. We’d love to meet you. For more information contact our website www.nhlcbristol.co.uk or our secretary, Angela email@example.com
•Lazy Dog Film Club. A free, small, but perfectly formed community film club based at the Lazy Dog pub on Ashley Down Road. We run the club every other week (Wednesday) in the upstairs of the Pub on Ashley Hill. We screen from Sept - July every year. All showings start at 8pm but we do advise people to book free places via LazyDogFilmClub@gmail.com , as we only have 35 seats per showing. For more information on the upcoming films, visit: www.facebook.com/LazyDogFilmClub
• Horfield Townswomen’s Guild. This friendly Townswomen’s Guild meets on the second Wednesday of each month at St Gregory the Great Church Hall, Filton Road, Horfield, Bristol BS7 0PD at 2.30pm. Why not come along and meet us? Just turn up, or ring Edna on 949 5413, and she will look out for you.
•Squirrel Camp Forest School, Badock’s Wood, 9.45-11.15 and 1.00-2.30 (during term time). £6 per family. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Mindfulness & Movement – Meditation and Qi Gong/Tai Chi for wellbeing. Gentle aerobic exercise and secular meditations for strength of body and mind. Dropin class, all equipment provided, 5.45-7.15pm £9 / £7 Bristol Buddhist Centre, 162 Gloucester Road BS7. Tel Tim Mason 07789 200685 for more info. See www.bristolbuddhistcentre. org/otheractivities/yogaandqigong
• Sing! with the Bristol Children’s Choir. Open to children aged 7-13 from any school in Bristol. If your child loves singing and would like to do more, Out There Music Children’s Choir could be what you are looking for. Meet every in term time from 4.45-6pm in the performing arts studio at Cotham School. More info, contact Holly Shannon on 07866587424, email@example.com .
• Spiritual Healing at Westbury Park Spiritualist church BS6 7TH Every Wednesday, 2pm - 3.30pm every week. No appointment necessary, animals welcome. Come along and feel the benefit. Also healing after Sunday evening service@8pm.
•Wednesdays 10:00am. Baby & Me post-natal yoga class, 10:00 - 11:00am plus tea and chat after. Supportive, friendly class with babies made very welcome. Move, breathe, meet and chat with other new mums at YogaSpace Bishopston. Find out more at www.bristolyogaspace.co.uk or contact Clara firstname.lastname@example.org / 07530 053 543.
•Why not join welsh national opera Friends. We support this world class company and everyone is very welcome to join. We offer monthly evening meetings at Redmaids High School MONTHLY at 7.15pm. Talks with music. Costs-£7.00 or £1.00 for students (Friends £5.00). For further information contact: Margaret Borkowski:email@example.com
•Melody Makers Pop Choir. An evening choir for men and women singing popular songs.Wednesday's term time 7:30-9:00pm The Eastfield Inn, Henleaze. Book a FREE taster www.melodymakerschoir.co.uk
• Bishop Road Community Choir. We are a mixed community choir, meeting at Bishop Road School from 7.45pm to 9pm. Everyone welcome to join, regardless of singing experience. There is no audition and the choir is open to anyone, not just parents of children at the school. We sing a variety of songs and perform locally. £3.00 per session.
•Bristol Ladies Choir sings a wide range of music from classical to light. The choir rehearses weekly and gives two main concerts each year. The choir also participates in approximately 9 to 10 other concerts in the Bristol area each year. Meet at 2.15pm - 3.45pm at Church of the Good Shepherd, Bishop Road, Bishopston, BS7 8NA. New members welcome. For more information contact Hazel on 0117 9246587 or visit www.bristolladieschoir.org.uk
• The Stepford Singers. Come and try Bishopston’s all female community choir. No need to read music and no auditions! We meet 1pm - 3pm so you can still be in time to pick up kids from school. For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org
• West Bristol Orchestra meet at the United Reformed Church, Muller Road, from 7.15 - 9.15pm and play a wide range of classical music arranged for our small friendly orchestra. String players of Grade 5 and above are particularly welcome. For further information please ring 0117 968 3998.
• Avon Harmony Ladies A Cappella Chorus meets for rehearsals every Thursday 7.30 -10pm at Fairfield High School, Allfoxton Road BS7 9NL. We are always made welcome, and we are actively recruiting new members. There is no need to be able to read music; we provide teaching tracks for learning by ear. See our website for more details www.avonharmony.co.uk or contact Mandy on 0117 652693 or Barbara on 07717 424421.
• Horfield Quakers hold a half-hour meeting for worship to be held every Thursday Evening from 6.307pm, at Horfield Quaker Meeting House, 300 Gloucester Road, Bristol, BS7 8PD. All are welcome.
• Pregnancy Yoga and Birth Preparation at Horfield Leisure Centre, 7.30-9.15pm. Classes offer you the time to celebrate your pregnancy, ask questions and meet other mumstobe in a safe and welcoming environment. For more information visit www.lymalnick.info, or contact Ly on 07843 377 718 / email@example.com
• Slimming World Bishopston. St Michael and All Angels Church (Pigsty Hill) Gloucester Road. Groups at 9.30am and 7.30pm every Thursday. £9.95 to join and £4.95 per week after that. 6 and 12 week countdowns available. Just turn up or Call Sue on 0117 924 3556 or 07702 578 298 for a chat.
• Kings Lawn Tennis Club Rusty Rackets, 19:30-21: 00. Want to get back into tennis? Come along to our fun and welcoming Rusty Rackets session every Thursday evening at Kings Lawn Tennis Club, Maplemeade ( just off Kings Drive) BS7 8JG. Nonmembers (£8) and members (£6) welcome! Contact Head Coach Elly Shearman only tennis .firstname.lastname@example.org for more details!
• Bridge for Beginners and Improvers West of England Bridge Club now welcomes new/novice bridge players for weekly sessions held every Thursday afternoon. Cost £3. Doors open at 1.45pm and play is from 2.00pm to 4.00pm. No partner needed and we have experienced players to help and advice. Beginners lessons also offered email bridgeclassbristol @gmail.com or ring 0117 2302694 for more info. Venue: Golden Hill Sports Club, Wimbledon Road, Bristol BS6 7YA. Full details at www.woebc.co.uk
•Spiritualist church Westbury Park Cairns Road BS6 7TH Open development circle Thursday evening at 7.15 for 7.30 start All are welcome to come along and find the Spirit within you. You don’t have to be a church member.
• Sporting Memories Group at the Gloucestershire County Cricket Ground most Thursdays from 11am to 12.30pm. A group suitable for people that are isolated or lonely and may have memory difficulties. The group is particularly for those that are interested in sport. Please contact John Collis on 07757527634 or come along to the ground from 11am.
• Whiteladies Farmers’ and Fair Trading Market is now held EVERY Saturday, from 8.30am-2pm. Takes place at the junction of Whiteladies/Apsley/Burlington Roads. Stalls cover bread, cheese, local lamb and chicken, fish, preserves, cakes, sushi, local fruit and veg, wild food larder, and recycled tools, wooden items and much more.
• Coffee, Tea and Refreshments served every Saturday from 10.30am to noon at Bishopston Methodist Church, 245 Gloucester Road. Join us for a rest and a chat.
•The Clifton Garden Society are eager to attract new members from all parts of Bristol. The Society offer monthly visits by coach to country houses and gardens, a quarterly newsletter. and an annual holiday. If you would like to join this friendly group please call 0117 9737296 for full details.