What's On February 2019
• Toddler group at Ardagh Pavilion, Kellaway Avenue, Horfield Common. Ages 0-3, cost £2.50 per family includes refreshments and biscuits. All welcome. Friendly vibrant group just drop in. Contact Kay on 01179426580 for further details.
•FitSteps, Ashley Down Primary School, Olveston Road, 7-8pm. FitSteps® the new craze in dance fitness classes from ‘Strictly Come Dancing’s’ very own Natalie Lowe, Ian Waite and Mark Foster.
• Redland Wind Band rehearses at Redland Parish Hall, Redland Green at 730pm. We sometimes have vacancies, currently mainly for bass instruments. Go to our website redlandwindband.co.uk for further information and to contact us email us on firstname.lastname@example.org. Get in touch if you would like to be put on our mailing list or would like to book us for events or fundraisers.
• Redland Green Choir meets for rehearsals every Monday 7.30pm-9.30pm at Redland Green School. We sing a wide variety of music. New members welcome: no auditions. For more information, visit redlandgreenchoir.org.uk. or phone 0117 9443042.
• Beaufort Junior Badminton Club. Venue: Cotham School Sports Hall, Cotham Lawn Road, BS6 6DT. Date/Time: Mondays from 6-7pm, term time only. Age Group: 11 18 years. All standards. Coaching and club play but also progression to Avon County Teams and senior clubs. Coaches CRB checked and Badminton England qualified. Contact: Penny Shears 0794 101 3514. Email: email@example.com
• RAFA, City of Bristol branch and club Eastfield Westbury on Trym for ex-RAF and associate members. Skittle Alley, parties and functions. Live entertainment on Saturday evenings. Open Monday to Saturday lunchtimes and evenings. Sundays noon till 5pm. All enquiries telephone 0117 3291913.
• Exercise Movement and Dance class for ladies. Low impact classes offer dance, exercise and core strengthening. Strengthen muscles, raise energy levels, improve balance and mobilise joints. 6.25-7.30pm at Fairlawn Primary School, Fairlawn Road, Montpelier, Bristol, BS6 5JL. Tel: Rachael at FL Exercise on 07966 418 714 / rachaelwilliams@ talktalk.net . Classes run on 5-7 week basis - charged as a block booking (£8 per class -1st Class Free).
•Mondays 10:00am, 11:15am, 18:00pm. Yoga for everyone and all stages of life. Move, breathe, strengthen, calm at our beautiful YogaSpace Bishopston studio. Find out more at www.bristolyogaspace.co.uk or contact Clara firstname.lastname@example.org / 07530 053 543.
•Senior Film Club, every third Monday in the month at 2pm St Peter's Hall, The Drive, Henleaze, BS9 4LD. All Welcome. Refreshments £3. Dial-a-ride transport possible by personal arrangement ; 0845 130 1875.
•Redland Green Bowls Club welcomes new members, come along to our club on Redland Green any Monday after 4pm , or book a free taster session with one of our qualified coaches. Jean or Gerry :Tel 9624466 . HALF price membership for the first year (£50)
•8pm Fun Quiz Night: Tv, Film, Music & more! at the Bristol Flyer, Gloucester Road, Bishopston Just £1 to enter
•Watercolour Painting Art Classes take place every Monday at Redland Library, between 10.30am and 12.30pm. Each half term course focusses on a new subject each half term. Suitable for beginner and intermediate levels, with some previous drawing experience recommended. For more information or to book, please visit: www.painting.zone. For queries or to add your name to the mailing list, contact Stella Shaw at email@example.com or ‘phone 07791400362.
•Bristol Bridge Club - Come and play, there are daily bridge sessions for experienced and less experienced players. Try a free taster session on a Monday afternoon or evening and Wednesday afternoon. Phone the club before coming, Tel.0117 929 1846 or www.bristolbridgeclub.co.uk
•Cotham Parish Church Drop-In Playgroup, Cotham Church Hall, Cotham Road, BS6 6DR, open every Monday of term time from 1.30 to 3.30, offering a warm welcome to children from 0-school age, with their carers. We charge £1 per session per family, which includes refreshments for all, singing and a variety of toys. Some parking is available in front of the church. 0117 9733395
• The Golden Buds is a group aimed at 18 months to 4 year olds and is a fabulous opportunity to be outside with your little ones, digging, playing, finding newts and frogs, watering, singing and making things all in the heart of urban Bristol! Sessions run from 9.30-11am and 11.30-1pm in school terms. We take booking on a term by term basis. Each session costs £5, a second sibling is £2.50 and under 12 months can come along free. For more info, visit: thegoldenhillcommunitygarden.com
• Scottish Country Dancing Get fit with Westbury Scottish Club. Classes for beginners at Leonard Hall, Trinity-Henleaze URC, Waterford Road, Henleaze, (Tel: Tina 0117 9075462). Classes for more advanced dancers at St Peter’s Church Hall, Henleaze, (Tel: Cheryl 0117 9590970). 7.30pm to 9.30pm wscbristol.com
• Bristol Harmony West Gallery choir and band sing and play lively church and village music from the 18th century. We are looking for new members, all voices welcome, also all string, wind and reed instruments. No auditions but ability to read music helpful. Meet in the University Staff Club, Woodland Road on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday each month. www.bristolharmony.wordpress.com or ring Colin on 0117 968 6860. Venue tricky to locate so please ring before coming.
•After school French Club for primary children at Gloucester Rd Quaker Meeting House. KS1 class: Tuesday: Level 1 – 4.10 – 4.45, Level 2 – 4.50 – 5.30 Level 3 – 5.40 – 6.20 Playful practical classes full of games, songs and general silliness to inspire interest and confidence in French. Like French Club Bristol on Facebook or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
nDiscover Buddhism 8pm every Tuesday. Introductory sessions involve 20 minutes of explained meditation then a short talk on a Buddhist topic. Sakya Thinley Rinchen Ling, 121 Sommerville Road, St Andrews, BS6 5BX. Suggested donation £4/£2. 0117 9244424
• A weekly Music Appreciation class is running throughout the winter. Come and join us as we listen to and talk about a selection of mainly classical music. No prior knowledge needed. Tuesdays 11-1 at St Mary Magdalene Church Rooms, Stoke Bishop. Music in Britain 18901939 including Elgar Delius and Vaughan Williams. Cost £15 for a single taster session or £100 for the whole 8week term. To book email email@example.com, or phone 0117 214 0418. For more info visit: heartmusicbristol.wordpress.com
• Melody Makers Baby Friendly Choir A fun and friendly daytime choir for ladies running Tuesdays during term time.9:30-11:00am, The Beehive Pub, BS9 4QY. £5 per session, discounts for members. Contact Natalie www.facebook.com/melodymakerschoir 07890393175.
•Bristol Brunel Lions Club – We meet at Shirehampton Golf Club on the first Tuesday of every at 7 for 7.30 on the 3rd Tuesday of each month we have a social gathering normally with food. We raise money for charity both locally and beyond through a variety of indoor and outdoor activities. Lots of fun and fellowship raising and spending money for good causes. For more details of how to apply for assistance with charitable activities in Bristol or to become involved in our activities see Bristol Brunel Lions Club on line or contact our Club Secretary Bill O’Neill at firstname.lastname@example.org
•A new knitting and crochet group has been set up in the local area. All abilities welcome, including beginners. Please do come along to meet and chat with fellow crafters, discuss projects, share ideas and even learn a new craft. 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month, 10:30 am at JP Destiny, Kellaway Avenue. 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month, 7:00 pm at The Eastfield Inn, Henleaze Road. If you are interested in coming along or would like more information please contact Stephanie Toft-Jones at email@example.com or visiting our facebook group 'Bristol Knitting and Crochet.
• Circle Dance Evenings at The Old Library Eastville, Muller Road BS5 6XP. Last Tuesday evening of the month, 7:30 – 9:30 pm, led by Susannah Temple, £5 donation. Calm & lively, lovely music, beginners welcome, no need for partners. Contact 0117 979 1519, firstname.lastname@example.org
•Bristol United Walking Football - every Tuesday 10.30-11.30 at Horfield Leisure Centre. The beautiful game played at a slower pace for the over 50's. First session free then £3. Contact Keith Gwilym on 07948383536 or e-mail email@example.com
•Women's Reading Group looking for new members. We read a wide variety of fiction and meet monthly on a Tuesday evening. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
•The Arts Society Bristol is for those who enjoy the arts and welcomes new members. Activities include lectures by specialists in their field. The lectures are at 8pm on the second Tuesday each month at Redmaids' High School BS9 3AW. More information is on our website www.theartssociety-bristol.org.uk
•Japanese Swordsmanship, Aiki Bokutodo in Redland. Every Tuesday at 7pm. Using wooden swords, study basic postures, cutting techniques and individual and paired exercises to explore the essence and ethics of the Samurai Warrior, and strengthen mind, body and spirit. Suitable for all, beginners welcome. Information from Robert Brinkhurst 07967 142148.
•The Arts Society Bristol is for those who enjoy the arts and welcomes new members. Activities include lectures by specialists in their field. The lectures are at 8pm on the second Tuesday each month at Redmaids' High School BS9 3AW. More information is on our website www.theartssociety-bristol.org.ukMore information is on our website www.theartssociety-bristol.org.uk
•The Glos Road WI meet on the third Tuesday of every month. The next meeting is January 15, followed by February 19. Doors open at 7.30pm for 8pm start at St. Andrew’s Bowling Club, Derby Road, Bristol, BS7 9AQ. Membership is £42.00 for the year or you can come as a guest for £5 to try us out.
•Bishopston, Horfield and Ashley Down Local History Society (BHALHS), meet every third Tuesday of the month, except January, August and December. Meetings are held at Horfield Quaker Meeting, 300 Gloucester Road BS7 8PD at 7.30pm. Visitors fee is £4.00, which includes tea, coffee and biscuits. Next meeting February 19, 'Three Channels Price' talk by swimmer Steve Price.
•The Arts Society Bristol is for those who enjoy the arts and welcomes new members. Activities include lectures by specialists in their field. The lectures are at 8pm on the second Tuesday each month at Redmaids' High School BS9 3AW. More information on website: www.theartssociety-bristol.org.uk
• Golden Hill Community Garden. 10.00am – 4.00pm. Come and get involved in your local community garden! No experience necessary and kids welcome. Learn about growing and relax in our beautiful space with a cup of tea. No need to come every week or stay all day. Our site is wheelchair accessible including our toilet. For more information contact Lucy email@example.com or 07506 905 394. We’re just through the gates at the end of Monk Rd BS7 8NE www.thegoldenhillcommunitygarden.com
• Bristol Voices Community Choir are welcoming new members, £5 a week (£3 concs) payable at the start of each term. We meet during the school term from 7.30pm to 9.30pm in St Werburgh’s Primary School, James St, BS2 9US. The school is fully accessible and has free parking. No experience necessary, no auditions and you don’t have to read music as all the songs are taught by ear. Our repertoire includes pop, folk, gospel, jazz, show tunes and world music. Find out more about the choir, at www.bristolvoices.org.uk
• Lazy Dog Film Club. A free, small, but perfectly formed community film club based at the Lazy Dog pub on Ashley Down Road. We run the club every other week (Wednesday) in the upstairs of the Pub on Ashley Hill. We screen from Sept - July every year. All showings start at 8pm but we do advise people to book free places via LazyDogFilmClub@gmail.com , as we only have 35 seats per showing. For more information on the upcoming films, visit: www.facebook.com/LazyDogFilmClub
• Horfield Townswomen’s Guild. This friendly Townswomen’s Guild meets on the second Wednesday of each month at St Gregory the Great Church Hall, Filton Road, Horfield, Bristol BS7 0PD at 2.30pm. Why not come along and meet us? Just turn up, or ring Edna on 949 5413, and she will look out for you.
• Squirrel Camp Forest School, Badock’s Wood, 9.45-11.15 and 1.00-2.30 (during term time). £6 per family. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Sing! with the Bristol Children’s Choir. Open to children aged 7-13 from any school in Bristol. If your child loves singing and would like to do more, Out There Music Children’s Choir could be what you are looking for. Meet every in term time from 4.45-6pm in the performing arts studio at Cotham School. More info, contact Holly Shannon on 07866587424, email@example.com .
• Spiritual Healing at Westbury Park Spiritualist church BS6 7TH Every Wednesday, 2pm - 3.30pm every week. No appointment necessary, animals welcome. Come along and feel the benefit. Also healing after Sunday evening service@8pm.
•Wednesdays 10:00am. Baby & Me post-natal yoga class, 10:00 - 11:00am plus tea and chat after. Supportive, friendly class with babies made very welcome. Move, breathe, meet and chat with other new mums at YogaSpace Bishopston. Find out more at www.bristolyogaspace.co.uk or contact Clara firstname.lastname@example.org / 07530 053 543.
•Why not join welsh national opera Friends. We support this world class company and everyone is very welcome to join. We offer monthly evening meetings at Redmaids High School MONTHLY at 7.15pm. Talks with music. Costs-£7.00 or £1.00 for students (Friends £5.00). For further information contact: Margaret Borkowski:email@example.com
•Melody Makers Pop Choir. An evening choir for men and women singing popular songs. Wednesday's term time 7:30-9:00pm The Eastfield Inn, Henleaze. Book a FREE taster www.melodymakerschoir.co.uk
•Read together a short story and poem. Weekly drop-in adult group, shared reading. It's fun, sometimes surprising, moving and exciting. No preparation, just come along and listen. Bishopston Library, every Wednesday 11.30am to 1.00pm. We read and chat. Refreshments provided. Free.
•Come and make new friends at the growing Westbury Park WI that also serves Redland, Cotham and Henleaze. We meet at Redland Church Hall on Redland Green, BS6 7HE, from 7.30pm onwards. There are some very interesting talks and crafts to try this year and guests are most welcome to visit before joining. For more info email: firstname.lastname@example.org or find us on facebook: Westbury Park WI. We look forward to seeing you!
•Wednesdays at 10.30am
Buddhist Meditation - use a simple technique to help the mind rest in the present and give space for reflection. Sakya Thinley Rinchen Ling, 121 Sommerville Road, St Andrews, BS6 5BX. Suggested donation £2. 0117 9244424
•Sound of Song ( a Choir for Female Voices) meet in Horfield URC, Church Hall, Muller Road on Wednesdays 7.30 - 9.30pm. Repertoire covers classical, choral,
jazz, popular, folk, and show songs. No auditions necessary.
•North West Bristol Camera Club are an enthusiastic group of amateur photographers who meet each Wednesday at 7.45pm at Westbury Fields, Greystoke Avenue. New members of any level of ability are most welcome. For details contact Neville on email@example.com
•Bishop Road Community Choir. We are a mixed community choir, meeting at Bishop Road School from 7.45pm to 9pm. Everyone welcome to join, regardless of singing experience. There is no audition and the choir is open to anyone, not just parents of children at the school. We sing a variety of songs and perform locally. £3.00 per session.
• Bristol Ladies Choir sings a wide range of music from classical to light. The choir rehearses weekly and gives two main concerts each year. The choir also participates in approximately 9 to 10 other concerts in the Bristol area each year. Meet at 2.15pm - 3.45pm at Church of the Good Shepherd, Bishop Road, Bishopston, BS7 8NA. New members welcome. For more information contact Hazel on 0117 9246587 or visit www.bristolladieschoir.org.uk
•The Stepford Singers. Come and try Bishopston’s all female community choir. No need to read music and no auditions! We meet 1pm - 3pm so you can still be in time to pick up kids from school. For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org
• West Bristol Orchestra meet at the United Reformed Church, Muller Road, from 7.15 - 9.15pm and play a wide range of classical music arranged for our small friendly orchestra. String players of Grade 5 and above are particularly welcome. For further information please ring 0117 968 3998.
• Avon Harmony Ladies A Cappella Chorus meets for rehearsals every Thursday 7.30 -10pm at Fairfield High School, Allfoxton Road BS7 9NL. We are always made welcome, and we are actively recruiting new members. There is no need to be able to read music; we provide teaching tracks for learning by ear. See our website for more details www.avonharmony.co.uk or contact Mandy on 0117 652693 or Barbara on 07717 424421.
• Pregnancy Yoga and Birth Preparation at Horfield Leisure Centre, 7.30-9.15pm. Classes offer you the time to celebrate your pregnancy, ask questions and meet other mumstobe in a safe and welcoming environment. For more information visit www.lymalnick.info, or contact Ly on 07843 377 718 / email@example.com
• Slimming World Bishopston. St Michael and All Angels Church (Pigsty Hill) Gloucester Road. Groups at 9.30am and 7.30pm every Thursday. £9.95 to join and £4.95 per week after that. 6 and 12 week countdowns available. Just turn up or Call Sue on 0117 924 3556 or 07702 578 298 for a chat.
• Kings Lawn Tennis Club Rusty Rackets, 19:30-21: 00. Want to get back into tennis? Come along to our fun and welcoming Rusty Rackets session every Thursday evening at Kings Lawn Tennis Club, Maplemeade ( just off Kings Drive) BS7 8JG. Nonmembers (£8) and members (£6) welcome! Contact Head Coach Elly Shearman only tennis .firstname.lastname@example.org for more details!
• Bridge for Beginners and Improvers West of England Bridge Club now welcomes new/novice bridge players for weekly sessions held every Thursday afternoon. Cost £3. Doors open at 1.45pm and play is from 2.00pm to 4.00pm. No partner needed and we have experienced players to help and advice. Beginners lessons also offered email bridgeclassbristol @gmail.com or ring 0117 2302694 for more info. Venue: Golden Hill Sports Club, Wimbledon Road, Bristol BS6 7YA. Full details at www.woebc.co.uk
• Spiritualist church Westbury Park Cairns Road BS6 7TH Open development circle Thursday evening at 7.15 for 7.30 start All are welcome.
• Sporting Memories Group at the Gloucestershire County Cricket Ground most Thursdays from 11am to 12.30pm. A group suitable for people that are isolated or lonely and may have memory difficulties. The group is particularly for those that are interested in sport. Please contact John Collis on 07757527634 or come along to the ground from 11am.
•Henleaze Ladies Choir is a friendly welcoming group which meets in St Peters Church Hall, Henleaze on Thursdays between September and May from 1.30 – 3.30 pm (with a short break for tea). We give 2 charity concerts a year in December and May and from time to time are invited to entertain community groups around the city. There are also occasional social events organised. We are always pleased to see new members. Pease come and try a rehearsal without obligation. To find out more contact Jane English (07752 332278) or Jean Wickham (0117 9624466).
•North Bristol Community Project Arts Fringe: Arts for Well-being, Thursdays 10am-12pm. Well-being Lunch Club, Thursdays 12.30-2pm.
10 week Sewing for Employability course, Mondays 10am -12pm; now taking bookings for the next sewing course starting on January 8 2018. The 10 week sewing course & the Lunch Club are FREE. For all other activities, there is a fee of £10 towards the cost of basic materials, tuition & refreshments. 160 Gloucester Road, Bishopston, Bristol BS7 8NT, Tel: 0774 237 7799 /0117 924 6228, www.northbristolcommunityproject.org.uk
•Read together a short story and poem. Weekly drop-in adult group, shared reading. It's fun, sometimes surprising, moving and exciting. No preparation needed, just come along and listen. Bishopston Library every Thursday 11.30am - 1.00pm. We read and chat. Refreshments provided free.
•Bristol Healing Group Drop-in Healing Session at Friends Meeting House, 126 Hampton Road, BS6 6JE. Thursdays 5.00 - 6.30 pm, donation basis. Healing is holistic, gentle, relaxing, helps restore balance and wellbeing, recommended for stress. Contact Barbara 0117 9082061.
•Henbury Singers welcome new members. A mixed, non audition choir, we meet at Stoke Bishop Primary School, Thurs evenings. We sing choral music, carols, musicals, gospel and folk songs. Contact Maggie Cavanna 0117 973 4794 or email@example.com.
•"Time to Move" Stay Active - Movement to music for over 55's. All abilities welcome, improve balance, mobility and well being.
Friendly, supportive and fun.
Thursdays 10-11am (tea and biscuits afterwards) £7, commencing 13th September at Redland Club, Burlington Road, BS6 6TN. Contact Michelle 07505 937156
•Singers Wanted! Henleaze Ladies Choir meet on Thursdays at 1.45pm in the hall at St Peter’s Church, Henleaze. We sing a range of music from works by Elgar to Bernstein’s West Side Story and lots more! Our new season starts on Thursday 13th September – come along for fun and friendship. For further details, contact Jean Wickham on 9624466 or Jane English on 07752 332278.
•Sing! with OutThereMusic’s North Bristol Community Choir who rehearse every Thursday evening between 7:45 - 9:45 at Westbury Park School, Bayswater Avenue, BS6 7NU. There is no audition and we have an eclectic repertoire with a very warm welcome assured. Visit www.outtheremusicbristol.co.uk - or come along to a rehearsal with our new term starting on Thursday 10 January.
•Bristol University of the third age (u3a) scrabble group would welcome new members. We play very friendly and informal games every Friday at the Beehive, Wellington Hill West, BS9 4QY from 2 to 4pm. For further info please contact Heddy SARA on 0117 9241318 and indicate when asked to give your name that you are phoning about scrabble in order not to be blocked. also email : firstname.lastname@example.org
•The Bristol Astronomical Society host astronomical talks and activities each week. Friday evening talks are held at 7pm at Bristol Photographic Society, Montpelier, BS6 5EE. Our new 2018/2019 programme starts on 5 October with Prof: Mark Birkinshaw: Orbits of many types. On clear Saturday evenings we open our observatory in Failand and often hold Star Parties in and around Bristol. We are also signing-up for our four-week Junior Astronomy Courses in October and November. See the BAS website for details: www.bristolastrosoc.org.uk
•Whiteladies Farmers’ and Fair Trading Market is now held EVERY Saturday, from 8.30am-2pm. Takes place at the junction of Whiteladies/Apsley/Burlington Roads. Stalls cover bread, cheese, local lamb and chicken, fish, preserves, cakes, sushi, local fruit and veg, wild food larder, and recycled tools, wooden items and much more.
• Coffee, Tea and Refreshments served every Saturday from 10.30am to noon at Bishopston Methodist Church, 245 Gloucester Road. Join us for a rest and a chat.
• The Clifton Garden Society are eager to attract new members from all parts of Bristol. The Society offer monthly visits by coach to country houses and gardens, a quarterly newsletter. and an annual holiday. If you would like to join this friendly group please call 0117 9737296 for full details.
•Horfield Friends Café meets every Friday from 2 - 3.30pm. Free drinks and cakes plus fun activities – a chance to meet people and keep our minds active. Horfield Quaker Meeting House, 300 Gloucester Road, BS7 8PD.
•Curvy Girl Yoga Class Every Sunday 7.30-8.30pm, KudaCan, 7 Dongola Avenue, BS7 9HG. A safe, supportive space exclusively for women, size 16 or more, to practice yoga. Your first class £5. Full details: www.curvygirlyoga.co.uk or call 07814934653