Redland High School: the proud history

March 31 2016

Redland High School: the proud history

1882 Redland High School is founded by Reverend Rose as a school for his daughter & three other girls. The houses at 27 & 28 Redland Grove are purchased and the school quickly expands to cater for 47 pupils, with Miss Elizabeth Cocks as Headmistress.

1885 The school lists 154 pupils on the register, and moves to Redland Court, an 18th century Palladian style mansion, recently purchased for £5,500. The school selects the daisy as the school flower as it is regarded as virtuous since it opens to light and closes to darkness.

1897 A successful campaign to enable girls from other areas to attend the school results in the opening of Redland Station. A boarding house is set up in 36 and 38 Clarendon Road,which remains until the 1930s.

Miss Cocks & staff in the 1900s

Miss Cocks & staff in the1900s

1905 The school motto, ‘So Hateth She Derknesse’ is carved on a wooden panel in the assembly hall to celebrate the school’s 21st anniversary.
RHS is able to offer 10% of places free from 1907, on receipt of increased grants from the Bristol Education Committee. Further funding for places is provided between 1926 and 1975 by the Direct Grant scheme.

Gym in the hall, 1914

Gym in the hall, 1914

Pupils relax at recess, outside Redland Court, 1928

Pupils relax at recess, outside Redland Court, 1928

1939 Airraid shelters are constructed in the cellars at the beginning of WWII and the school is not evacuated, unlike others in Bristol. Bombs land on the school roof, but quick action prevents the major damage and school buildings come through the war unscathed. After the war, pupil numbers rise to 461 but the last intake of boys in the infants is in 1945.

1975 RHS becomes an independent girls school. Buildings purchased over the years to enable the school to expand include the site of the Junior School at No. 1 Grove Park, and Nos 7, 9 & 10 Woodstock Road.

1993 4 Redland Court Road is purchased for classrooms.

1999 A purpose built ICT suite is costing £300,000.

2014 RHS infants (girls) and QEH initiative (boys) established in 2014 and will remain on site after the move.

2016 The merger with the Red Maids’ School in Westbury-on- Trym is announced, plus the new school name: Redmaids’ High School.