Redland High School buildings sold to developers for £9m

February 24 2017

The buildings of one of Bristol’s oldest schools have been sold to developers in a £9 million deal.

.

The buildings of one of Bristol’s oldest schools have been sold to developers in a £9 million deal. 

It marks the end of an era for Redland High School, which has occupied the splendid Palladian buildings for more than a century.

The sale is due to complete by 30 September 2017 (or earlier by mutual agreement) when pupils from Redland High School will join those at the Redmaids’ High School site in Westbury-on-Trym. 

The main campus site at Redland Court has been sold to Kersfield, the developers behind the development of the Burwalls Estate in Leigh Woods and the St John’s School House development by the Downs. Plans are in the early stages, but work will include converting the school buildings and sympathetically renovating the Grade-II* listed Redland Court into a selection of residential properties, ranging from one-bedroom apartments to four and five-bedroom family houses.

The bursary and Sixth Form in Woodstock Road have been sold to Westbury Guilds, which plans to turn the buildings into residential homes.

The Music School on Redland Court Road has been sold to Dr John Quinn of Quinn Clinics. There are plans to convert the building into a wellness centre and medical clinic.

David Newton, chief executive at Kersfield, said: “The site at Redland High School is a fantastic opportunity to sympathetically restore important listed buildings and create new homes in an area of high demand.

“At Kersfield, we are committed to creating beautiful properties that offer the best of modern living, while maintaining their heritage and blending seamlessly with their surroundings.”

Money from the sale will meet the costs of the redevelopments under way at Redmaids’ High School, where the new Redland Hall is being built, following the decision to merge both schools last year.

Redland Court was built between 1732-35 for John Cossins and his wife Martha. Looking from one of the southern windows, the view is of the avenue of trees following the line of the original carriage drive.Cossins also built his private chapel on Redland Green in 1740. 

It was used as a private house until 1884 when the grounds were purchased by Redland Girls High School Company (est. 1882) for £5,500. After extensive improvements, the girls moved in on May 12 1885, and by the end of the year 154 pupils were under the headship of Miss Elizabeth Cocks.

The school is also linked with the development of Redland Station, which was opened in 1897 at Lover’s Walk, enabling girls from outer areas of Bristol to attend the school.

Burwalls, left