Play park demolition halted at last minute

February 24 2017

BULLDOZERS due to demolish a children’s play park have been temporarily halted following a campaign by residents.

BULLDOZERS due to demolish a children’s play park have been temporarily halted following a campaign by residents.

Bristol City Council announced last month that it planned to turf over Manor Farm multi-use games area (MUGA) in Horfield at a cost of £10k.

Magistrates ordered the council to reduce noise coming from the park following a court case brought by a resident who complained about noise and anti-social behaviour.

The council decided that removing the MUGA was the best way to reduce noise. But locals who use the play area were furious that they hadn’t been consulted. They organised a candlelit vigil at the MUGA, a petition that attracted nearly 700 signatures, and meetings with their ward councillors.

Now the council has agreed to halt demolition plans while possible alternatives are discussed.

Anna George, the chairwoman of the Manor Farm community hub, said: “We’ve been granted a stay of execution. We’re now working as a community to come up with ideas that the council could consider instead of removing the play park.

“The irony is that the play area was put in to reduce anti-social behaviour.”

A council spokesman said: “The removal of the MUGA was planned to enable the council to comply with a court order requiring it to abate the noise nuisance from the MUGA by 17 March 2017. However, the council has now paused this work while discussions are held locally to see if there are any alternative courses of action that can be carried out in the time available and that are affordable.”