Ginger and Honey Cake
Briony has prepared a special Christmas recipe for Bishopston Voice readers - a delicious ginger cake with honey icing and gingerbread on the top
• 250g unsalted butter
• 200g golden caster sugar
• 115g dark muscovado sugar
• 280g golden syrup
• 200g clear honey
• 60g stem ginger, grated
• 20g syrup from stem ginger jar
• 500g plain flour
• 4 tsp ground ginger
• 3 medium eggs
• 330ml whole milk
• 200g unsalted butter, softened
• 400g icing sugar, sifted
• 2 tsp ground ginger
• 1 tbsp syrup from stem ginger jar
• Dash of milk to loosen
1. Oven on to 160°C fan. Grease and line 3 x 8 inch cake tins.
2. Butter, sugars, golden syrup, honey, stem ginger and syrup into large pan and heat until melted and smooth.
3.Flour and ground ginger into large bowl. Whisk to combine.
4. Milk and eggs into jug. Whisk to combine.
5. Pour butter mixture into flour. Mix to combine. Pour in milk mixture. Mix to combine.
6. Divide into tins. Bake for 30-35 minutes until skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool.
7. Make icing. Beat butter until pale and smooth. Add icing sugar and beat for 5 minutes. Add syrup. Beat again. Add milk to loosen if too stiff.
8. Place one cake on plate/board. Spread over icing or pipe on. Add next layer. Repeat. Spread icing on top of cake (or pipe it on). Add sprinkles or other decorations to finish.
For inspirational recipes and more see www.brionybakes.co.uk or Instagram @brionymaybakes